Sunday, June 21, 2009

Life Is Good

Sorry I hadn't posted lately but I have been busy at work.
I finished my Straggler Calender Quilt and back. I will post pictures after I contact the person I fashioned by quilt after.
I am a nurse. I am other things but I am a nurse by profession. I am writing this because this is so close to my heart and every day of my life I relive this scenario.
Everyone, and I mean everyone needs a DNR. THAT DOES NOT MEAN anyone is going to let you die. It means if we find you dead we leave you dead. You are brain dead 4 minutes after you die. There is no quality of life left. You are a vegetable. Someone will wipe you butt and a tube inserted into your stomach through the abdomen will feed you. You will be turned side to side every two hours.You may end up with a bed sore on your sacral area the size of your dinner plate. Your heels may turn beet red, then purple, then open up and turn black with a hard scab.
I have never met anyone that made it to the other side and came back knocking to be let back in. Sometimes death is a blessing. Get a DNR.
Everyone, and I mean everyone, young, old, rich, poor, black, white, red, yellow or blue needs a Power of Attorney. It does not have to be your favorite niece, favorite son, loving spouse. It means someone you can trust. Someone that will carry out your wishes. Someone that knows what your wishes are and is willing to stand up and fright for you when your cannot fight for yourself. If you are frightened to let anyone know what your wishes are for whatever reason, get a Living Will put it in a sealed envelope and give it to someone you trust or an attorney. Tell them, "open this up only if something happens to me and I cannot make my own decisions". Do not trust ANYONE with something as precious as your life.
We were all born to die. That is a no brainer, a given, or what ever you know to be the truth. What we do in between being born and death is all that counts. You cannot go back. You cannot do a retake. This is the real thing. If you want to do it, do it. Take that chance. Step out of the box. This is your life. Make the most of it.
Lovingly yours.
Jeri

1 comment:

  1. Have a bad day at work? You could always suggest everyone have "DNR" tatooed on their chest. After all, tatoos are in. Can't wait to see the quilt...

    ReplyDelete