Tuesday, April 7, 2009

This is the last day of my trip. It has been a wonderful journey. I have met so many talented quilters. I have learned so many things. I am going to take up handquilting when I get home. The two sisters are teaching me on the bus. They have given me the basics. While in Lancaster we went to the museum and looked at Amish quilts that were over 60 years old. The story behind this is very interesting and I will tell you and show you pictures when I get home. They are beautiful. In the shop at the museum they had more Amish quilts for sale.
Jann, one of the sisters, gave me a lesson in stitching. I guess the goal for quilters is 10 stitches per inch. Well, we have a quilter on our bus that does 12 stitches per inch. I am about 4 stitches per inch (OK, more like 3 1/2 stitches per inch). I am working on it. I bought a leather thimble with a metal area on it. I bought some needles. And I almost bought a quilting stand by Hinterberg. I want to make sure that I am going to do this before I invest my money in it. A lot of the ladies on the trip just use a hoop on their laps. I have heard the pros and cons about quilt stands (not being able to reach the middle to I love mine, I got mine at the guild yard sale, I never use mine). Wish me luck with the handquilting.
I also saw quilts with an applique technique called ruching. I want to learn that also. The quilt won a prize.
The ladies on my bus are so talented. It makes me want to cry with joy just looking at the things they are working on. One of the sisters, Lynn, finished knitting a sweater on the bus (started in West Palm Beach, Fl and was completed by Lancaster, Pa) and wore it to the quilt show or the museum (time flies when you are having fun). I was impressed. I took me a year to knit a sweater.
Well, it is 6:15am in Florence, SC and the coach leaves at 7:00am and I still have to eat breakfast. Mornings are not mornings without Dr. Pepper.
Bye.
Jeri

No comments:

Post a Comment