Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Old Friends

It is my favorite time of the year. I love the holidays-from Halloween to New Years. I love everything about it. The shopping is the best. I do not shop any other time of the year but I love looking at all the things in the shops. And (forgive me all English teachers but and had to go here) the smells. I adore the smells. I lavish the smells. I worship the smells. Cinnamon and nutmeg and sugar. Yes, I can smell sugar. The chocolate. The pecans. The coconuts. This sounds like a cake.
Oh, well. I can smell a cake cooking in my oven tonight.
Every year I wish for a Christmas quilt. Last year I said I was going to make one. Never did.
Although I did see a Red and White Snowball Challenge on Fat Cat Quilts blog. I missed the cut off for the swap date. Maybe next year.

I love this quilt. It is a free pattern from Timeless Treasures http://www.candysfabricshop.com/projects/Tree.pdf. I have seen this pattern made up three times and each time I always think of adding trinkets to it to make it look more festive. I love it.


Very little sewing is going on in my house at this time. I am not working on any projects. I am looking and planning for next year. But no real sewing. I am however, quilting a quilt I made for my friend JoAnna last year about this time when she moved to Colorado. Well, she is back in Florida and just bought a new house. Congratulations JoAnna. I hope to have it quilted by Christmas.
As you can see from the picture the seam ripper is my best friend once again. It is an off and on love affair. I tried to eyeball my sewing from corner to corner and made a royal mess of things. I know I have to use blue painter's tape and use a longer stitch. But I wanted to try something quick and easy. Now it is going to take me longer. I sewed four rows hoping and wishing that the lines would somehow straighten up with each new row. No such luck. They just looked worse with each row I added.
I also used fusible batting. The verdict is still out on that one.
I wish everyone a joyous holiday and a Happy New Year.
Jeri

No comments:

Post a Comment